Tuesday, December 11, 2012

one

Yesterday was Harriet's first birthday. It's strange and wonderful how much difference a year can make. Last year at this time, I was just getting to know this little baby who felt one part stranger and one part kindred spirit. Today I am eating leftover birthday cake with hot pink frosting while my dear daughter naps upstairs. This has been a big year. I have had the honor of mothering this bright, brave, spirited, sweet girl and I can't think of a better way to have spent this time.

I think it's true what they say - the days are long but the years are short. Some of our days (and especially our nights) have been very long. But this year truly sprinted along, transforming my tiny button of a baby into a little person who walks and talks (sort of) and steals my heart over and over and over again.

Her birthday party was this past Saturday and it was, of course, pink. Someday she may play hockey, go fishing with her dad, and want to paint her bedroom orange or green. All of those things sound wonderful and I can't wait, but for now, while it's still up to me, I'm keeping things pink.

My husband is talented at a lot of things, but I never knew he had such a knack for crepe paper.

My mom made this fabulous wreath. I just love it.


Harriet's Auntie Bean helped us decorate for the party on Friday. As we were leaving, my mom said, "Wouldn't it be funny if we came back in the morning and Bean had folded the napkins into some crazy design?" Well, in the morning, there were swans.





Andrew and I made the cakes ourselves. My sweet friend who owns a cupcake business was very patient with me as I texted, called, and emailed for her advice and opinions.

She's one.




Harriet's godmother, Ashlee (below with her boyfriend, Dan). She may not be of the fairy variety, but I'm certain that if she had a magic wand, she would turn pumpkins into carriages and outfit our princess with glass slippers.

The napkin artist herself (with her boyfriend, JP).
  
Grammy and Papa.


This candle set off the smoke detectors...Are you surprised?

Unforunately, our party girl wasn't a fan of the smash cake.

 I was.







It had to be funfetti.

We planned three days of activities for Harriet's birthday weekend - the party on Saturday, the Holidazzle and Macy's 8th floor on Sunday, and the Mall of America on Monday. We ended up snowed in on Sunday. At first, I was disappointed to miss the parade and an afternoon downtown, but I ended up grateful for a day at home with nothing to do but play with Harriet. We tried out the sled she got from her aunt and uncle. You can't tell from the picture, but she loved it.


Yesterday, we had pancakes for breakfast. (That's a 1.)


And then headed to the Mall of America, where Harriet got to see the fish at the Sea Life Aquarium.

And rode the Merry-Go-Round with her dad.


She seriously loves shopping.

It feels so obvious and trite to write this, but...I feel so blessed. I vividly remember a time when I doubted we'd ever get here. And even during those rare hopeful times, I never could have dreamed that having a child would be this wonderful...and challenging and exhausting and messy...and wonderful.

Happy, happy birthday to you, Harriet Grace.











12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Happy birthday Harriet! What a wonderful blessing from God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Her party was so adorable! I so wish we lived closer so we could get our little girls together...though, I'm sure Rylie would jump right in to bossing little Harriet around. :) I also love all of the pink...and totally agree with you, whatever she wants later in life is fine, but while it's up to me, pink it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the same thing! I think our girls would have a great time together.

      Delete
  3. I love all the pink! She is so cute! What a little blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome birthday celebration!!! Ian wasn't a fan of the smash cake either! Looks like you guys had an amazing time, what an amazing difference a year makes huh?! Happy Birthday Harriet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear Harriet isn't the only one who didn't go for the smash cake thing. (-:

      Delete
  5. With the help of a man called Dr.Ogbes I was able to get pregnant. i'm 56years of age, it was really difficult for me to pregnant though my husband loves me but it was really hurting me not having my own child but after many years I came across Dr.Ogbes whose email address is Landofanswer@hotmail.com or you reach him direct on his cell phone number +2347050270227 he told me he is going to send me a Herbs for me to drink, and will fall pregnant a week after drinking the Herbs i'm 7months pregnant now and also I will like to advice everyone looking for help to get pregnant to contact this very man via his email address at Landofanswer@hotmail.com or call him on his cell phone number +2347050270227.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post….. I read a few of your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You shared very nice and detail information with us .This article contain very useful things for us I am very excited bout this one it is so nice and very useful to us.Thank you for this information .I expect this kind of important information in future also so keep it up this nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write good content, I am looking for this thanks for sharing it will help others.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...