Tuesday, February 3, 2015

birth plan, shmirth plan

I am a planner. A researcher. A question asker. If I have a big decision to make or a new experience on the horizon, I consider all angles, call upon the experts, read the books, and when I feel like I’m equipped with all the information, I make a plan.


Giving birth was no different. In fact, the births of my three children were probably the two most meticulously planned events of my life…perhaps more planned and researched than my wedding! I worked hard to create detailed birth plans that promised to give me the sort of experiences I wanted. But both times, I walked into the hospital with a very specific plan in mind…and promptly threw it into the trash, if not literally, than definitely figuratively.

Read the rest of the post here!


7 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way! I did a post just like this. Not ONE part of my birth plan happened. But the birth of my daughter was still the best moment of my life to date! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I didn't really have a plan but I think that is a good idea. They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet. I remember reading your post way back when you had Harriet and how beautiful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! So true! I didn't have a plan... but even without one, my boys' birth was STILL further from anything I thought could or would happen. No one wants to give birth to their babies under general anesthesia. I still can't believe that's what happened. Luckily, everyone is happy and healthy, though, and in the end - that's all that matters!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. I laugh about my birth plans sometimes, but they were such an incredibly important process for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is hitting home as I am sitting down to write a birth plan with my doula next week. It's a loose plan and life rarely goes according to plan…so I'll be flexible. But yep, type A here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your post. It brought tears to my eyes. You see my kids are adults now. 25 almost and 22. They both still live at home, both are still single, and as a sign of economy-unemployed-not for a lack of trying. One is over educated the other under experienced. I admit I have prayed for their future spouse-did no0t consider praying for their parents. \I have hoped that both my husband and \I can get along very well with them. \if my "sister in law" wanted to know now to braid. I feel it would be privilege to teach her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...